Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

"when, with the ever-circling years, comes round the age of gold...."

i have always loved those lyrics from "it came upon a midnight clear." every time i sang them - or heard them sung - in hushed and tender tones - i got teary.

this year has been no exception and this year.....this year? this year my age of gold has come around.

oh, it's not that i'm all that old or anything like that. it's not that i'm ready for the company to give me my gold watch. it's not that i'm scoping out burial plots.

but it is that i have arrived at, if not my late years, then at least my later ones, and i am taking stock.

what does one do when one "takes stock?" especially when one "takes stock" with the lyrics from "it came upon a midnight clear" ringing in her ears?

(does one ponder whether it is better to invest in stocks or in gold?)

no, what one does is......or, at least, what this one does is.......this one begins to see that the age of gold has been here -  all along.

it wasn't anything i needed to wait around for the ever-circling years to bring me, after all.

it was there all along.



my life has been an age of gold. i have been lucky, blessed, and lucky and blessed again. and again. and again. i have been living the age of gold.

and now? now that there's a bit of tarnish on my gold?  (yes......it turns out that gold tarnishes just as surely as silver does).......now that there is a bit of tarnish on my gold?

now that there is a bit of tarnish on my gold, i am going to sing the song even louder. and even stronger. and with even more elbow grease on my part. because you know what?.........

the song never said i'd never have to.