Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

yeah. i'm on my soapbox again.

i have said this before and i have offended plenty of people before (which reveals much more about them than it does about me) but why in the world, if you are not a serious Christian, do you celebrate Christmas? doesn't that bother you?

it bothers me.

i do not celebrate hanukkah. i do not celebrate ramadan. i do not celebrate any religion's holidays except my own religion's holidays. where's the rocket science in that?

i would feel so, so..... so i don't know what if i knocked out haunukkah just so i could scoop up some delicious potato latkes and a gift for 8 nights in a row.

the fact that Christmas is such a dominant holiday in our culture is not a good justification for your decision to celebrate it if you don't believe it. or, more to the point,  if you don't practice it. like your mother used to say, "if everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do that, too?"

in your defense, i can understand completely how you were raised and steeped in a Christmas-celebrating tradition and i can hardly fault you for how you were raised.

but i can fault you for now.

and i do.

in this i-am-offended-by-everything-everybody-does culture, let me add my offense to the heap:

i am offended that you cheapen my Lord with your $50 sweater from Gap.

which you have no intention whatsoever of wearing to church.