Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

why relevant is irrelevant

(aren't you peeps glad you have me to straighten you out and explain how the world oughta work?)    :)


ok, so, speaking of the world - here's what's wrong with it: relevant. relevant is what's wrong with the world.

'round about the '60s, everybody decided that everything needed to be "relevant." which is a fancy way of saying that everything needed to be about moi.

look, i love moi as much as the next guy. and i fell for all that "relevant" crap, too. but i have wised up. and i want you to, too.

in my lifetime - and, likely, yours - the '60s were the beginning of the end. (despite the fact that we thought they were the beginning of the beginning.) we thought that having things free and not uptight and not according to anybody's rules and appealing and satsifying and meaningful - and relevant - and peace, love, flowers, blah, blah, blah - GAG ME - would make us all happy. 

well.......how happy has the world been - really - since then? (if this is happy, who needs enemies? to turn a phrase.)

in other words, the world is not happy. the world is a freaking wreck. and you know it and i know it and  the reason it's a freaking wreck is, well...... relevant. we all wanted it to be relevant...... to us. if it didn't make sense to you, then it didn't make sense. 

in hindsight, i now see that givin' a flip about what makes sense to me is the first step to hell.

here's what doesn't make sense to me: that i should forgive the person who murders my daughter. should that hideous thing ever happen.

what doesn't make sense to me is that the secret to making myself happy is making somebody else happy.

what doesn't make one iota of sense to me is that if i put myself last, i will have put myself first.

it doesn't even make a whole lotta sense to me to love a God that i can't see. and who, as pope emeritus benedict very honestly said, sometimes seems like He's asleep.

the point is, it doesn't matter if it makes sense to me. and it doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. hell, chemistry doesn't make sense to me (and, don't lie - it doesn't make a damned bit of sense to you, either) - but i believe in it. and so do you.


you know how there's no "i" in team?

well,

there's no "i" in relevant, either.