Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

life in georgia so far


it's hard to get a driver's license here.

i had to show them my divorce decrees, my marriage certificate, my social security card with my former name, my social security card with my current name, my passport, and my current ohio license. i showed them all that and then they said, we need proof that you live here in georgia. i said, other than standing here looking at you, i don't have proof. they said, bring us your lease. i said, i don't have a lease. they said, bring us your mortgage. i said, my husband has the mortgage....i just married him....and he lives in georgia, which is why i'm standing here in georgia looking at you....and the mortgage is in his name. they said, that's not good enough. i said, i figured.

they said, bring us something that came in the mail to you here in georgia. i said two things, one, i haven't gotten much mail here in georgia and two, what i've gotten i've thrown the envelopes to away. (ok, so, bad grammar, but this is the DMV in georgia. how good does the grammar need to be?)

they said, don't you have anything? like a lease agreement or something? i said, we've already covered the lease thing. they said, a utility bill? i said, those are in my husband's name. they said, anything? i said, nope.

they said, well, you need to get some mail. i said, well, the next time something comes for me to my husband's and my post office box, i'll save it and bring it in to you. they said, post office box?????? a post office box isn't proof that you live here. i said, well, it's as much proof as me standing here is. they said, we can't accept stuff from a post office box. i said, well, practically nothing is going to come to my home address. because my husband prefers to use a post office box for regular mail and the home address just for stuff like packages and stuff. and it's a long time till Christmas.

they said, get somebody to send you something to your home address. i said, assuming they meant somebody official, that everyone official has been instructed to use the post office box and they said, who said anything about somebody official? and i said, well, i just assumed.....and they said, don't assume anything, it makes an (me joining in) "ass out of you and me."

and they said, get a friend or someone in your family or somebody like that to send you something. it can be anything. a card or something. and i said, are you kidding me? a friend or a family member sending me a hallmark card is considered proof to you folks that i live here in georgia and they said, sure, why not? and i said, well, what if i'm just visiting here in georgia and my friend or family member is sending me a hallmark card saying, hope you're having fun on your vacation in georgia? and they said, we don't read people's personal mail, ma'm. we need official stuff for some things and not official stuff for other things. and i said,



this is all starting to remind me of hillary clinton.