Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

the lady on the side of the road with the 2 upside down chairs

there's an older lady who sits out beside a road here in evans, georgia almost every afternoon. all afternoon. 

the road she sits by is a pretty busy one; too busy to really slow down and get a good look at her. which maybe you would want to do so you could try and figure out what she's sitting out there for. like it's any of your business.

she sits on a folding lawn chair and she has another folding lawn chair next to her. she sets a bunch of stuff on that one. i don't know what it all is. when she's not out there sitting, she turns the chairs upside down. and they sit there, waiting for her to come back and turn them like they're supposed to be.

behind her is a long, narrow red dirt road, surrounded by woods on both sides and leading, presumably, to her house. waaaaaaaaaaay back in there somewhere.

or maybe she lives in a tent.



i told rudy that i would like to stop and talk to her sometime. that maybe she's lonely or maybe she's depressed and maybe she sits out there so she can have a little company, watching the cars go by. rudy said he thought that sounded like a good idea - me stopping and talking to her sometime, that is.


sometime came today.


me (walking towards her with my hands up): excuse me, ma'm, i'm safe. i'm not here to hurt you.
lady: (doesn't say anything. which includes not saying "get out." so i didn't.)
me: i know this probably seems strange to you - it seems a little strange to me, too, to tell you the truth - but, well.......well, first of all, hi. my name is nancy.
lady: (doesn't say anything. still doesn't say "get out," though.)
me: well, um, so, yeah. my name is nancy. and i just moved here not quite 2 weeks ago. from ohio. and, well. well, i've driven up and down this road a lot since i got here and, well, i see you out here a lot.
lady: (doesn't say anything.)
me (feeling ridiculous): well. anyway. i just sorta wondered, you know, if maybe you were, i don't know, lonely or something. and maybe that's why you sit out here. to watch the cars go by and stuff. and maybe have a little company. i don't know. i just wondered that. and, well, maybe this is awful forward of me but, well, i don't know. i thought maybe i'd stop and see if you wanted someone to talk to.
lady: name's margaret (not her real name).
me: well, hi. hi, margaret. i'm happy to meet you.
margaret: (nods her head. not much, but it was a nod.)
me: so. well. ah. yeah. anyway............i just wanted to stop and say hi.
margaret: ok.
me: so, well. ok. nice meeting you. (i start to turn to walk back to my car.....)
margaret: i sit out here waiting for the mail.
me: oh! oh! well! i hadn't thought of that. (but i didn't believe that story. at least not entirely. sit out all afternoon everyday, waiting for the mail?)
me: well.
margaret (doesn't say anything).
me: well, ok. good. good. i'm glad you're not out here because you're lonely. good.
margaret (doesn't say anything).
me: well. it was nice meeting you. i guess i'll get out of your way now. nice meeting you, ma'm.
margaret: you don't have to go.
me: oh. well. okay.
margaret (doesn't say anything).
me (trying to remember my social work skills and how to engage people who are difficult to engage): so (pointing down the long red road), do you live back there?
margaret: yep.
me: looks like it'd be nice. back there in the woods.
margaret: till everybody gets to fussin' and carryin' on.
me: ah. yes. until then.
margaret: gits to me sometimes. y'know?
me: i think i do. i'm a social worker. i've seen all kinds of fussin' and carryin' on.
margaret: you work around here?
me: no. not yet. i haven't been down here very long. but i hope to get a job soon.
margaret: you'll get one.
me: i sure hope you're right.
margaret (almost smiling): i'm right.
me: well. thank you. 
margaret: no trouble.
(a few awkward seconds pass)
me: well. so. i guess i better get going. it sure was nice to meet you, margaret.
margaret: nice to meet you, too. nancy.
me: see you around?
margaret: i'll be here.
me: k. well, bye.
margaret: bye.

i walk back to my car and open the door to get in. i turn to wave to margaret.



and she's already waving to me.