Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

what i did on my summer vacation

yesterday: 

i went to the store, with a hand-written note that said, "i left this here on purpose. you are the lucky one to find it. now, it's your turn to do something nice."  i wrapped the note around a 5 dollar bill and tucked it in the hot dog case.

i went to a community independence day barbecue with my parents and 4 of their roughly-the-same-age friends. my parents are 87. i listened to conversations that started, then stopped (because the person telling it couldn't remember it), and then started again. only this time, we were on to another topic altogether.

i listened to the same remarks over and over and over:

  • "isn't this barbecued chicken good? this barbecued chicken is good."
  • "isn't this weather wonderful? this weather is just wonderful."
  • "we must be doing something right to get weather like this on the fourth of july!"
  • "that's right, don! we must be doing something right!"
  • "what was the weather like last fourth of july?"
  • "i don't remember."
  • "i don't remember, either."
  • "remember what?"
  • "what the weather was like last year at this time."
  • "oh."
  • "do you know?"
  • "me? no! heavens no! don't look at me! i can't remember what i had for breakfast!"
  • isn't this barbecued chicken good? this barbecued chicken is good." 

i came home and gave my dog an extra treat.

i walked around my neighborhood and forgave every single one of 'em for not having an american flag flying. 

i read through my facebook news feed and didn't get angry at anybody's crazy opinions.



i looked back over my day and shamefully realized that i had spent it being more proud of myself than of my country.



today's a new day.