Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

buttons (and bows)

abby and eli bought me a new laptop as an early birthday gift. which should be a good thing - and it is. it's a wonderful thing. but, it's a bad thing.

i react very differently to things than most other folks do. not to everything, of course, but to a lot of things. technology being one of them. technology pushes not just my computer buttons but my personal buttons as well. and boy, do i ever have some personal buttons!

technology, in a nutshell, makes me feel like a moron. it frustrates the hell outa me. practically none of it makes sense to me. and there never seems to be anyone who can explain it to me - at least not in the unbelievably simplistic terms that a moron like me requires. however simple you explain it to me, i need it simpler. simpler than that. simpler! on a scale of 0-10, with 0 being the most simple, i need a -500. at least.

so, trying to get used to a new computer is a chore for me. a fun chore, in some ways - if that oxymoron makes any sense - but a chore nevertheless. a chore that underscores, at practically every key stroke, what an idiot i am.

and it makes me feel bad about myself. period. it just does.


on the flip side, though......i am like a fish gliding through blue waters when it comes to people. if technology is my button, then people are my bows. i totally get people. i get their moods, i get their non-moods, i get their needs, their wants, their fears. you bring me a stranger (which, as a matter of fact, is what my job is - i meet strangers fresh off the street everyday, sit down with them for an hour or two, and diagnose the hell out of 'em. then i send 'em off to a clinician in another department to fix 'em)..........but............you bring me a stranger, and i am in. my. element. i feel as comfortable with people as i do in my jammies.

so why can't the world be like that? a world of people and not things. not computers.

(cuz abby and eli can't buy me people for my birthday, i guess.)