Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

knock knock: who's there? bruno mars. bruno mars who?

increasingly, i don't care about pop culture. this is how little i care about it: i barely know what it is anymore.


i have heard of bruno mars. i wouldn't know him if he walked through my door. and if he sang me a song, i wouldn't know if it was one of his or one of katy perry's (i've heard of her, too). i would know if it was one of janis joplin's.

i remember when i was a teenager and i promised myself that as i grew up, i would stay connected with the popular world - that i would be hip, that i would keep current, that i wouldn't become a fuddy duddy.

but that was before i knew what fuddy duddy really is. and before i knew how unfuddy duddy fuddy duddy can be.


fuddy duddy has led me to more quiet moments alone, trying to discern what really matters - not to me - but to God. and i think bruno mars matters to Him - but not because he can sing.

it has led me to a worldview that no longer cares about what a lot of people care about. if i didn't have family responsibilities, i would probably be a contemplative nun.

i would stay in the convent and do my "i didn't watch the super bowl" thing one step better: i wouldn't have known that the super bowl was on. and when one of my sisters told me it was on and hurry up, make some popcorn, and join us in the t.v. room, i probably wouldn't have. well, i would have made them the popcorn. :)

it's not that i think there's anything wrong with staying connected - i don't. i just now have different things that i want to stay connected to.


those budweiser clydesdales probably were adorable, though.

:)