Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

what i've learned this week

i've learned that experience really is the best teacher, which, sidebar for a minute......my parents gave me a card when i graduated from college that said on the front, "congratulations, graduate, and remember.......experience is the best teacher." and then you open it up and it says, "now they tell me."

:)

anyway.......back to the moment......

experience really is the best teacher. i guess, ha ha, no one can teach you that. you have to experience it.

i experienced it this week -  in spades -  as i began my new job. what i did was, without even realizing it, i made the transition from my old job to my new job absolutely seamlessly. i just osmosised (yeah, no such word) from one to the other. it took other people's feedback to even make me aware that i had adjusted so well.

i received lots of wonderful feedback from many different sources and all of that was very nice. very nice. but what really made me open my eyes and realize that, hey, nancy, you've learned a lot over the span of a 32-year career was when, in team meeting, our boss brought up the teensy weensy oversight that she had made when she approved vacation for everyone - everyone - in my  department for the same week. next week.(another sidebar - in my boss's defense.......no, she is not a dolt. some computer snafus were largely responsible for her not realizing what she was doing when she made the vacation approvals.)

so, anyway, here we are, in team meeting on the third day of my first week in my new job and i find out that, with the exception of our administrative support person who, incidentally, also started this week, i will be the only one here next week. and i totally didn't bat an eye. actually, it didn't even really occur to me that that might be a problem until my boss and my co-workers leaned over the table with deep, deep concern in their eyes (like only social workers can do) and inquired (also like only social workers can do) how i felt about that.

how do i feel about what, i asked.

about being all alone next week.

i dunno, i said. fine. i feel fine about it.

and it was true. i did feel fine about it. i still feel fine about it.


experience is the best teacher.  

now i tell you.  

:)