Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

things that make sense but don't appear to

yesterday, i was driving olivia to gymnastics, with charlie along for the ride, and they were discussing my birthday. for the first time that i know of, they asked questions about what a birthday is, exactly.


olivia: what is your birthday, gram?

me: you mean, when is my birthday?

charlie: no, gram. she means what is your birthday?

me: well.......my birthday......and everybody's birthday is a celebration of the day they were born.

olivia: but you're already born, gram.

me: yes. i'm already born. i was born a long time ago, but we still celebrate it.

charlie: how long ago were you born, gram?

olivia: a looooong time ago, charlie!

charlie: are you old, gram?

me:  well........

charlie: i'm not old, gram. i'm a child.

olivia: and i'm a child, too.

charlie: yeah, and olivia and i already got born.

me: that's right. you are both children and you both already got born.

charlie: the babies already got born, too, gram. they were in mommy's stomach but she wanted them out of there so they got born.

olivia: mommy didn't want the babies out of her stomach, charlie!!

charlie: yes, she did!!

olivia: no, she didn't!! gram.........mommy didn't want the babies out of her stomach, did she?

me: well.....she wanted them in until it was time for them to be born. she wanted them to stay in until they were old enough to be born.

charlie: but the babies aren't old, gram!

me: no, the babies aren't old, but they used to be a little bit old. a little bit too old to still be in your mommy's tummy.


silence..........

silence..........

silence.........


olivia: gram?

me: yes, liv?

olivia: turn on the radio, please.