Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

do they still have debtors' jail?

i owe the feds seven thousand somethin' and the state of ohio a thousand somethin.' true story.

if i were not an idiot, i wouldn't owe the feds a dime - they would owe me (a little) - and i wouldn't owe the state a dime, either. but, alas. i am an idiot.

i began drawing spousal support last year and - idiot me - i plum forgot that i have to pay income tax on that sucker. PLUM FORGOT!

add to that the fact that since i plum forgot to set aside money for taxes for 2013, i also plum forgot to start setting aside money for taxes for 2014. until just recently, that is.

just recently (and by "just recently" i mean about 3 weeks before i had my taxes done), some kind of crazy light bulb, apropos of NOTHING and totally out of the blue, went off in my head. and i was like, O. M. G.  - I. HAVE. TO. PAY. TAXES. ON. MY. SPOUSAL. SUPPORT.

the light bulb, which hereafter will be referred to as GOD, saved me from probably having a heart attack or hell, who knows, freaking suicide - just kidding - when my accountant, 3 weeks later, announced to me, "well, nancy, you owe seven thousand somethin' to the feds and a thousand somethin' to the state of ohio." had God not nudged me, i might not be here writin' this post. which some of you probably wouldn't mind.

but, anyway, after God nudged my idiot self and before i went to my accountant, i did the math myself. i rounded up on all the numbers and, thank my personal light bulb, GOD, for giving this idiot the good sense to do that because when i heard "seven thousand somethin' to the feds and a thousand somethin' to the state," i was actually pleasantly surprised. i was braced for ten thou.


i am filing this post under the label, "things that make no sense," because if being pleasantly surprised to learn that you owe seven thousand somethin' to the feds and a thousand somethin' to the state of ohio doesn't fall under the category of things that make no sense, i don't know what does.


idiot.