Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

the Easter garage

abby and the kids and i (eli was sick) went to my parents' house today to have a little pre-Easter celebration. and guess what the hit of the day was?

no, not the Easter egg hunt (though they loved it).

no, not the Easter cookies and treats (though they loved them).

no, not the pbj sandwiches which grandma and grandpa made them - instead of some kind of fussy, uptight glazed ham.

no, what they loved the most was.......(wait for it).......

grandma and grandpa's garage. their garage!



first of all, my parents' garage, with a door to the inside and a door to the outside, creates an irresistable circular running course. you can either run from the garage to the outside, through the garden, into the condo, and back into the garage OR you can really mix it up and run from the garage into the inside, out through the garden, and around into the garage again. either way, this is more fun than should be legal. (and, with the shrieking volume what it was, it's probably wasn't.)

the other thing is, these children have never seen a garage this clean. this airy. with this much room to move. only my parents would have a garage that looks like all it needs is a comforter and it could be a 4th bedroom. (which, sidebar here, my mom told me that she and my dad asked their cleaning lady if she would be willing to clean their garage - for extra pay, of course. and the cleaning lady said, sure, she's never had anyone ask her if she would clean their garage before but, what the heck, sure.....i'll clean it. and i said to my mom, i said, "mom, what on EARTH is there to clean in your garage? we could have a WEDDING in that garage!" and my mom said, well, i know.......but it's not perfect. and i said, mom, no wonder i'm screwed up. i have a mom who wants a perfect garage. and she said, just imagine how much more screwed up you'd be if you DIDN'T have a mom who wants a perfect garage. and.......i gotta admit......i had to stop and think about that one.)

but, anyway......the kids loved the garage. and every now and then, i'd hear my mom saying to my dad, "i hope there's nothing out in that garage that can hurt them," and my dad would say, "nah. just a circular saw or two." and my mom would say, "well, as long as they're clean."

:)