Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

prom

time to kick that tradition to the curb. which is saying a lot. cuz you know how i feel about tradition.


if prom ever did make sense, it certainly doesn't now. to paraphrase peter, paul, and mary, how many roads must have a fatal prom night accident on them before we call it a day? er......a night?


i remember my first prom (i actually went to two - my junior year and my senior year). i hounded my parents - and, surprisingly, they eventually gave in - to let me stay out all night. i argued that a prom without an all night is like something - i forget now what my analogy was - but it must have been pretty good because like i said, they gave in.

i also remember my grandfather, upon learning what i had chosen to wear for "after prom" (a pair of purple "hot pants"), telling my mother that she had lost her mind. my mom thought so, too,  but defended her (their) decision with a sigh and something lame along the lines of, "well, i guess times have changed."


indeed. times had changed. sign enough right there that the slope was starting to slide. 


and you know how slopes are.......


they only slide down.