Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

before you kick the bucket, kick the bucket list

i don't have a bucket list. or, more accurately, i have one, but nothing's on it. or, more accurately, i have one and something's on it. the something that's on it is what i've already been doing.


most people who have bucket lists have things like this on it: jumping out of an airplane, swimming in the coral reef, going to alaska. or paris. the eiffel tower. seeing hawaii at sunset.

i have none of these things on my list. not because i think there's anything wrong with having these things on a list. just not on a bucket one.

a bucket list is supposed to be a list of things you want to do before you die. really? before you die, you feel the need to buy a boat? before i die, i don't want to swim with the dolphins. i want to teach my grandchildren to swim.

before i die, i want to make sure i have fixed as many things that are wrong about me as i can. (believe me, if i do that, there'll be no time to climb mt. everest.)

i want to repair my relationships. especially the ones i have broken.

i want to pay my debts, financial and otherwise.  mostly otherwise.

i want to get closer to God, not closer to the moon. i want to understand Him and what He wants me to do.

somehow......going on safari probably isn't what He has in mind.

for me.

or you.