Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

like september trees who say watch me, i'm just about ready to change

i wrote a poem a long time ago that ended with that line - "like september trees who say watch me, i'm just about ready to change." 

i've written a lot of poems in my time but only a few stick in my mind. that's one of 'em.

i also remember the one i wrote when my dear friend from childhood had her first baby. it was a "welcome to the world" kind of poem and it ended with, "like ten thousand hands, waving hello."

the one i wrote for my parents on their 50th wedding anniversary....."the kind who stay. when leaving would be easy."

when abby was married.... and i remarked with love on her new husband's hair which "gets all curly and weird in the back when it needs to be cut."

the one about a special little girl i had as a client. i said that she had "small eyes. small eyes in the corner of her face that slide in and out like the moon." 

i wrote one as my final exam in my senior history class at wittenberg university. it was about the "puritan dilemma," which we had been studying all term. in a nutshell, the puritans' dilemma was findng that precise line, which is not always as clear as you might think, between the good and the sinful. the puritans worried that if they followed God's commandments and then ended up feeling good about it, that would negate the goodness of it. poor guys. 

"that there is a line is certain. and i walk this tightrope non-stop."


anyway, those are some of the lines from some of the silly attempts at poetry that i have made through the years. i get my inspiration for them from - what else - life. and it's a good thing that life is always in motion and never stays static. 

like september trees who say watch me,

i'm just about ready to change.